August 20, 2020

Spotlight: Painting Workshop with Sister Jessica Millis

 



My name is Jessica Millis. I am an artist and art teacher, working with various ages and levels of artistic experience, from the complete beginner to the more advanced. I am so pleased to have the opportunity to lead our painting tutorial! This project is flexible enough to be accessible to both a beginner as well as those with more painting experience. Everyone who signs up will receive a painting kit,* including paints, a canvas with a sketch of our image, brushes, and an instruction sheet. During our session I will paint along with you and lead the process step by step. We will be painting a forest scene inspired by the Sacred Grove. Artists painting form nature deal with various elements of design, including light and shadow. I was inspired by Joseph Smith's description of the "pillar of light" that appeared to him in the Sacred Grove, dispelling the darkness he had been experiencing. His vision of the Father and the Son represent the ultimate and most essential light for each one of us in our own lives as well. No matter what we're going through, or how crazy things seem to get, we can know that there is always hope through the Savior and His love and light. I love this quote by Vern P. Stanfill:

"There is no darkness so dense, so menacing, or so difficult that it cannot be overcome by light."

I look forward to sharing this painting project with you as we paint our interpretation of the light seen by the prophet Joseph Smith, and contemplate the meaning of Christ's light in our own lives.

Lots of love,
Jess Millis


About the presenter
My name is Jessica Millis. I am originally from Salt Lake, but I've spent most of my adult life either in Maine or on other continents. I currently live in Londonderry NH. I have Bachelor's and Master's degrees in art from the University of Utah...because two mostly useless degrees are better than one? Seriously, though I LOVE art, and I'm so grateful that I have had opportunities to pursue this passion and share with others in many different teaching capacities. I was blessed to serve a mission in Singapore as well as study art in Belgium and France, but my greatest adventure has been my family, including my husband, Justin and our four children. Our home is a beehive of joyful chaos, brimming with ongoing art projects, engineering marvels in progress, and lots of laughter. I believe that art will save the world, or at least help keep us sane and make the world a brighter, more beautiful place. I am looking forward to sharing this painting project with all of you!



About the artwork
Millis, Jessica (n.d.). Untitled [acrylic on canvas].

No comments:

Post a Comment